Tuesday 17 November 2009

FRAME 1 LOCATION RECCE

Went out after uni today to try to find a decent location for frame 1 of my 15 images.

I found it quite stressful to be honest. It's hard to find a suitable location when you already have an idea of the image you want to create, especially considering I had not visited the area before. Involved a hell of a lot of walking, and not much image taking.

That said, I did manage to spot a couple of places.

Firstly this place, which I need to ring up to try and get access:







Returned later in the evening, to see what kind of lights are available around the time I will shoot:



Also looked briefly at a tennis court, as the type of fencing could be represented as a prison. When shooting at night-time, most of the background 'distraction' would be blackened out:





Reminded me of an old shot for a first year project, so dug that out too:



I also took a trip to Holloway Women's Prison. One thing that struck me was that the building gave very little visual reference that it was actually a prison - mainly consisted of very high, bland-looking walls. Therefore it wouldn't be a very suitable location to shoot. Clicking the link will also show this, as the place looks like a fucking holiday resort on the inside.

The main reason I went though, was to enquire about borrowing a prison uniform, to give my shoot a little added authenticity. There were 2 officers there, 1 had to leave the room from laughing at me, but the other kindly gave me an address, so I could send a request to the governor.

Well that was my day. Legs are aching now...

2 comments:

Misato Karibe said...

oh thanks god. my face was coverd by shadow! lol
hey how was the prison?? i even told my bf that i was worried about you! well doesnt seem to be so bad though. looks friendly place. lol

Tom Hargreaves said...

haha yes. thanks for being my test subject.

prison was oki, but like i put above, 1 of them laughed at me!

the pictures aren't of the prison, but good that you think that, cos it's the place i will *hopefully* be shooting.

hows your project going dude?

Post a Comment